ITD’s Role in Increasing Safety
By providing financial and technical assistance to deploy innovative technology, ITD is improving safety on our Nation’s
roadways by focusing on these program priorities:
Deploying e-screening technology
Detecting Out-of-Service vehicles
Detecting Out-of-Service carriers
Sharing CMV parking availability
Reducing work zone crashes
In 2022, FMCSA awarded $37,769,531 in grant funding to 35 ITD projects:
- 27 States deployed or planned new equipment and e-screening technology, improving the efficiency and effectiveness of roadside inspections.
- 19 States added or began adding technology to detect vehicles with safety deficiencies serious enough that they should be taken off the road.
- 13 States added or began adding technology to detect carriers who are operating despite an FMCSA out-of-service (OOS) order.
- 4 States deployed or researched CMV parking notification systems.
- 3 States built or are building work zone information systems and methods to reduce work zone crashes.
Read the ITD Annual Report
Learn more about what FMCSA and States achieved together in 2022.
Download ITD Annual Report
Use the links below to access previous ITD Annual Reports:
2021 ITD Annual Report
2020 ITD Annual Report
2019 ITD Annual Report
2018 ITD Annual Report
2017 ITD Annual Report